Special handling is added per shipment if the shipment does not meet the criteria for standard shipments. Each carrier has their own criteria:
Loomis: Any articles due to their nature (e.g., size, shape, packaging, contents) are deemed by Loomis Express, in its sole discretion, to be unsuitable for our sorting facilities (e.g. ball bearings, nuts, bolts and fasteners, liquids, wooden or metal crates and nonconveyable items). - Any package or article; pail or container not fully encased in an appropriate shipping container.
Canpar: An “Irregular” Extra Care charge may apply to any articles that, due to their nature (e.g., shape, packaging, contents), are deemed by Canpar Express, in its sole discretion, to be unsuitable for our sorting facilities (e.g. liquids, wooden or metal crates, fabric rolls, and non-conveyable items). This includes any package, article, pail or container not fully encased in a new rigid corrugated carton or any package or article that requires repackaging due to inappropriate or insufficient original packaging.
GLS: Any article that is not fully encased in corrugated cardboard or in GLS Canada-Approved Packaging, including but not limited to metal, wood, hard plastic, soft, plastic, or expanded polystyrene foam. Any cylindrical-like item, such as a barrel, drum, liquids, glass, pail, tube or tire, that is not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard box or shipping container.
A fixed surcharge applies to every piece, including a pallet, with a single dimension in excess of 120 cm.
Does not apply to pieces already subject to Overweight Piece surcharge
There are a number of shipments that require special care or that may not be accepted by FedEx, or by the importing or exporting countries.
- Dangerous Goods: A number of items fall under this category such as aerosol sprays, airbags, ammunition, butane, car batteries, cologne, dry ice, fireworks, etc. These items are not allowed for shipment to or from Morocco.
- Live Animals: Live animals are not allowed for shipment to or from Morocco.
- Perishable Goods: This category includes foods and beverages that require refrigeration or other environmental control. These items are not allowed for shipment to or from Morocco.
- Human Body Parts: Human body parts are not allowed for shipment to or from Morocco.
- Explosives: This is considered a Dangerous Goods item. Dangerous Goods items are prohibited for shipment to or from Morocco.
- Money: This category includes any currency, both paper money and coins. These items are not allowed for shipment to or from Morocco.
- Liquor: This includes any alcoholic beverage for human consumption. Liquor is prohibited for shipment to or from Morocco.
Purolator: Purolator may accept Courier Shipments that require special handling. All Courier Shipments that require special handling will not be eligible for Purolator’s service guarantees. Where a Shipment requires special handling, an additional charge will be applied, including, without limitation, if the Shipment falls within the following categories:
- (i) Additional Handling: a. Shipments with outer packaging made of wood or metal, or bundled together with metal strapping; b. Shipments that contain high-risk items, which are not packaged according to Purolator’s accepted standards (see “Purolator Packaging Guide”) and are deemed high risk at Purolator’s discretion; c. Non-packaged (unboxed) articles (excluding Purolator Express Envelopes, Purolator Express Packs, Purolator Express Boxes and document Shipments); or 17 d. Objects not fully encased in a suitable shipping container (e.g. tires, pails and duffel bags) or not packaged according to Purolator’s accepted standards (see “Purolator Packaging Guide”).
- (ii) Oversized: Packages that weigh more than 70 lbs (approx. 32 kg), but less than or equal to 150 lbs (approx. 68 kg), or their longest side measures more than 48″ (approx. 122 cm) and less than or equal to 108″ (approx. 274 cm);
- (iii) Residential Area Heavyweight: Packages that are considered heavyweight items for standard residential area pickup or delivery because they weigh more than 70 lbs (approx. 32 kg) and less than or equal to 150 lbs (approx. 68 kg);
- (iv) Large Package: Packages that measure between 130″ (approx. 330 cm) and 165″ (approx. 419 cm) in total overall Piece size;
- (v) Over Maximum Limit: Packages that are over the maximum limit because they weigh more than 150 lbs (approx. 68 kg), measure more than 165″ (approx. 419 cm) in total overall Piece size, or their longest side measures more than 108″ (approx. 274 cm); and
- (vi) Flat Package: Packages that have their longest side measure more than 18″ (approx. 45 cm) and their shortest side measure less than or equal to 2″ (approx. 5 cm).
Canada Post: Items mailed under this Agreement may be subject to one or more of the following surcharges:
- Surcharges for non-compliance with mail specification or preparation requirements
- Fuel surcharge
- Mailing tube surcharge
- Additional Handling surcharges (Oversize and Unpackaged)
- Out of spec surcharge.
Details regarding such surcharges are set out on the Postal Services Information website at canadapost.ca/postalservices. Canada Post may amend the surcharges at any time.
Nationex: Oversized or non-conveyable parcels (NCV):
Oversized parcels (from 36’’ or more than 70lb), un-packaged parcels or parcels that cannot be put on a conveyor are subject to a Surcharges.
Oversized length (from 100”) Oversized parcels (from 100”) are subject to a special Surcharges. NCV charge also applies.